Monday, August 27, 2007

Good Rejection

A good rejection, is there such a thing?

I think so, I received one this weekend. I saw the agent's name in my email inbox and my heart fell to my feet. That was quick, I thought, which usually means No thank you.

I opened the email and yes it was a NO THANK YOU, but the good thing for me is she said WHY?

How many times do we wonder why the query doesn’t get a Yes responds? Finally someone took the time to say why.

Now I know what I did wrong, and what I need to do to make the next query letter better.

Have you ever received a good rejection?

2 comments:

bettye griffin said...

Yes, I have. Going from straight rejection with no comments to rejection with comments and/or explanation is a familiar path. Keep going. You're getting warmer.

PatriciaW said...

No. I got a couple of short story rejections but they didn't say why.

Can you distill your feedback into general terms re: query writing?