Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fred Moment

Today I read a blog post about The Fred Factor.

Here’s the link if you want to read for yourself.

It had me thinking about my own Fred moments and lessons I’ve learned in the work environment.

1. Everyone makes a difference
2. Everything is built on relationships.
3. You must continually create value for others.
4. You can reinvent yourself regularly.

When I first joined the Navy, my first official job was on a cleaning detail. I couldn’t believe I’d joined the Navy to clean toilets. My supervisor told me it didn’t matter what job I had to do the best you can do and that will always make the position shine because what you do can make a difference.

I hated cleaning but I believed in his words and I made sure my toilets and floors shined. Our base received the Best base award and part of that recognition was because of the cleaning details. We made our base shine.

I’ve carried that advice with me with every job I’ve had. It might not be something I wanted to do, but I did my best to make it shine because every job makes a difference.

My Fred moment is trying to make a difference in other’s lives. Be it by sharing a title of a book, introducing a new writer or setting up a conference call that was cancelled because they couldn’t figure out the system.

I think we can bless others everyday if we try. Just because your day is long and hard doesn’t mean you have to take it out on others. Be thankful for your day and share something with someone else.

What’s your Fred Moment?

No comments: