Friday, May 04, 2012

10 Things Learned At Romance Slam Jam 2012 - Part 1

1. Checklist should include everything you need for trip 

I’m one of those people who need lists to get things done. I always make a trip check list to make sure I have everything I need for the trip. Since most of my trips are personal, I didn’t realize I was leaving vital information off my checklist (promotional items for SORMAG).

This was a working trip and I forgot all my promotional items on my table in the hallway. I’d planned on putting them in the side pocket of my luggage. Never happen, so I will be updating the checklist for future work trips.


2. Roommates can make or break a conference.   I have been blessed to have some great roommates when I attend Romance Slam Jam. This year was no different. The two ladies I bunked with were the perfect roommates. One – Eboni (Kiana Alexander) and I have been roommates before and Kathy ( Regina Bryant) a new roomie for us both. We were like best friends in the room. We didn’t drive each other crazy and we even shared clothes.

Make sure you have the right roommate when you schedule a conference or you could have the roommate from hell who snores like a freight train.

 3. Pick the workshops you want to attend the night before.

The last thing you want to do is run around looking for your class only to find out its full because you weren’t ready the next day.

Also going over the schedule will let you know what workshops have changed or what workshops have been added.

4. Be a prepared presenter 

Always be professional when you are being a presenter. Have your notes ready. Have your presentation ready. Don’t wing it; believe me it will show and the last thing you want is to lose your audience because you’re not ready.

If you have notes and no copies, offer to send copies to those in attendance. This is also a great way to add those in attendance to your mailing list.

5. Have a way to stay in contact with those you meet. 

If you’re a presenter, have a notebook/journal or sheet of paper to capture those in attendance of your workshop. Let them know you will add them to your mailing list if they give you their name and email.

I met a few writers who didn’t think about this small but important part about coming to a conference, networking with those in attendance and building relationships.


If you attended the Slam, what did you learn, please share your experiences.

No comments: