Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Making Progress

One of my biggest problems with writing is me making it a priority. I put everything else before it. When I started SORMAG, I thought it would feed my need to write, but it didn’t. The characters still work me up from my sleep. However I haven’t pushed writing to the top of the list.

Last week I asked myself what was something I wanted to do before I die. Seeing my name on the book spine has been a goal for years. However with my aunt’s death, it made me realize we’re not promised forever and putting off your dreams only means they never come to reality.

The t.v. has always been an obstacle in my writing because I let it come first instead of turning it off. It was like a drug, I didn’t know how to get rid of it. I know it’s hard to give up an addiction, so you have to start slowly. Thank goodness for tivo. It has saved me. I can tape my shows and do my writing.

I picked Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays as my writing days. These are the days my hubby works and that way I don’t clash with his off days. You know how family gets when you’re on the computer 24/7. Something I’ve been accused of. Now I’m trying to be more considered of my computer time and my family time.

Last night, I turned off the t.v. and I worked on a chapter. It felt good having the lap top on my lap and just writing. How free it was. I’m looking forward to tonight.

Making writing a priority is hard if you have other things on the top of your list, but if you give up one thing, it will push the writing up closer and you’ll be closer to your dream.

Happy writing.

P.S. Before I turned off the t.v. I caught part of the World Series. I saw half of my favorite group – Hall & Oates, John Oates sang the National Anthem. It was nice to hear him sing something different. I’ve always enjoyed his voice.

1 comment:

Linda Beed said...

I am very proud of you. Now that you've taken the first step the other foot will follow.

DON'T STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda!