Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I Love My Hair

One of the first lessons I learned when I went natural was that I knew nothing about my hair.  I had to learn to love my hair for what it was and not what I wanted it be.  This was a hard lesson because there were so many products out there promising to turn my hair into my every dreams.  Unfortunately it can be an expensive lesson if you don’t learn it early.
I had to learn to love my hair for who it is.  This is my hair, not my sisters, not my best friend, not the lady in the hair video. 
Don’t try to make it into someone else’s hair. 
It will never happen and you’ll spend too much on products that don’t work on your hair. 
Learn your hair instead and you’ll fall in love with what God placed on top of your head.  I learned to listen to what my hair needed and what it didn’t like.  It took time, but I believe we are now on good terms.
My suggestion to you if you’re on this natural hair journey,  ask yourself these questions:
What type of hair do you have?
What does your hair need?
What does your hair like?
What does your hair dislike?
What is your hair like in different seasons?
How much time do you want to spend on your hair?
When you know the answers to these questions you are on your way to having hair you love.

Do you love your hair?

No comments: