Friday, April 19, 2013

CURLY SISTER: Deatri King-Bey



Tell us a little about you and when and why did you decide to start wearing your hair naturally?

I’m a systems analyst, author, mother, wife and grandmother. I’ve worn my hair natural the majority of my life. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve tried the relaxed look, but I don’t look right and also didn’t like what it did to the quality of my hair. My hair is now locked, but before that I’d twists my hair and wear twists outs.

What was your biggest hair obstacle to overcome?

When I began the locs, I didn’t realize how long it would take for my hair to start locking. It literally took two years. I understand we all have different textures of hair which determines how long before your hair will loc, but two years? Wow.

My daughter decided to loc her hair and it started locking in two months. I was so jealous. LOL. I didn’t give up and now I’m good to go.

What are three products you can't live without for your hair?

Castile soap, olive oil and water.

What are your favorite styles to wear?

I just wear my locs down. I pull them back when I’m eating.

Which natural sites/blogs do you follow?

I don’t follow any.

Any advice for the newly natural sisters?

The healthier you are, the healthier your hair will be. Eat right, exercise, drink plenty of water and learn to work with your natural texture instead of against it. Everyone’s is different. Do what works for you.

Do you have a site/blog/facebook to follow?

I don’t have one dedicated to hair anymore. On my Facebook page, I talk about everything, including hair. http://www.Facebook.com/Deatri

Would you like to be my next Curly Sister? Send an email to sormag@yahoo.com

No comments: