Friday, April 12, 2013

Curly Sister: Lutishia Lovely



Lutishia Lovely was SORMAG's JAN/FEB Cover Author - Read her INTERVIEW

Tell us a little about you and when and why did you decide to start wearing your hair naturally?

First of all, LaShaunda, thank you so much for inviting me to this forum! Such a great idea! Now, to your question. Before becoming a full-time author, I was – and still am – an actor. In the early 90s, while living in Kansas City, I would perform one-woman monologues of famous African-Americans (such as Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth) during Black History Month. These were mostly performed in schools across the city and at Black History events. Of course, these events served to instill pride in young people of color for their race, and love for the color of their skin - a message that wasn’t always conveyed via media or in school. Also around this time, I became the art director for an after-school program, called Images, for at-risk children. The combination of events really caused me to focus on my “image” and the message of beauty I was conveying to the young people. That’s when I decided to go natural, in 1992.

What was your biggest hair obstacle to overcome?

Gurlllll, my biggest obstacle at first was not looking like Buckwheat in Our Gang! Ha! Those months where I was “in between” – with some of my hair natural and some still texturized, was something else! I didn’t want to cut my hair all the way down, though, so I became inventive with scarves and hats and puffy pony tails until it grew out. Then I began to twist my hair to get that crinkled look, and wore it that way for years. Finally, after thinking about doing it for at least ten years, I locked my hair. Best decision I ever made!

What are three products you can't live without for your hair?

I’m continuously trying new products and don’t have a die-hard regimen. That said, for me, raw shea butter is a must, and I also really love Organics tea tree shampoo and conditioner and Carol’s Daughters Moisturizing Leave-In Conditioner.

What are your favorite styles to wear?

My favorite is to braid my locs while they’re wet, let them dry, and then unbraid them for the curly look. LOVE this style! For formal events, I like to wrap them on top of my head, maybe letting one or two dangle down.

Which natural sites/blogs do you follow?

None, although I’m very excited about a tour being organized by newly natural author Pamela Samuels-Young called Natural Born Writers. Several “natural” authors will be visiting major cities throughout the U.S., to promote a new book she’s written called Kinky Coily and to promote our natural hair!

Any advice for the newly natural sisters?

I’d simply say “embrace your beauty” and don’t be afraid to try new things. Personally, I love locs and highly recommend them, but I twisted for more than ten years and enjoyed that look, too. 

Do you have a site/blog/facebook to follow?

Everyone interested can keep up with my life, my novels, and my hair ::smile:: @ LutishiaLovely.com, and/or follow me on Twitter and Facebook @ lutishialovely. LaShaunda, thanks again and remember everybody: you are beautiful…naturally!

Would you like to be my next Curly Sister? Send an email to sormag@yahoo.com

2 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Lutisha,

Thank you for being featured today. I had to crack up at buckwheat, because I’m woody wood pecker or Don King on the bad hair days. LOL.

I’ve thought about locking but I would miss my puff. I like the idea of a natural hair writer’s tour. I hope you guys can come to St. Louis.


Anonymous said...

Would LOVE to visit St. Louis, LaShaunda! Maybe next year...