Thursday, April 16, 2009

NO YELLING FAST - UPDATE

When I started on this fast, I knew it would be a challenge because I’m forever yelling. One thing I’ve learned from this is that you can stop the yelling. It won’t happen over night but you can cut down on it.

I have a bad habit of speaking before thinking. That’s the good thing about writing; you can reread your words before you send them out. When you speak without thinking, sometimes they are words you wish you never said. Yelling is like that. You say things you wish you never said.

With the older children, I’m learning to remain calm, breath, think about my words and then speak. Now I wish I could say that for the 2 year old. Every time I think I have it down, that little person, does something outrageous and I let loose.

The hubby bought powdered donuts and the little person grabbed a few to eat and then decided one would be good to use as a writing tool. He proceeds to write on my mother’s couch. By the time I find him, one pillow on the couch is covered with powdered sugar. Before I could think, the words are out, “Why are you doing that? You’re supposed to eat the donut not play with it,” of course at the top of my lungs and scaring the poor little person to death. His little face, made me realize I was yelling and hurting his little feelings. He starts to cry and I feel like the worse mom in the world.

Not yelling is hard, but I refuse to give up on the fast. I’m learning to control my yelling and I know after this fast, I will start a new habit of thinking before speaking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL!!! I can just imagine your little one writing away on grandma's couch. Doggone kids will certainly raise your bloodpressure. :-)