Tuesday, March 02, 2010

World Building

When I decided to write a middle grade book, I knew it would be on another planet. I just didn’t know what the planet would look like or where it would be.

Who knew coming up with a new world would be so hard.

My first step was to Google world building. This mini search helped a lot to steer me in the right direction.

The Beginning – How does your world begin? Do they believe in a God or higher being? What is their history?

What does the world look like? – Do you have an idea of what the world looks like, what it is made up, what type of weather does it have?

Who lives on the world? – What beings live there? What do they look like?

What is their culture? – What do they speak, eat, or do?

What are their economics? – Do they have money, do they trade?

Do they have a government?

Seems like simple questions, but they are not. They can be very difficult. The good thing for me is that I’m enjoying building my new world. Finding out what the people like and what makes their world has been fun. It’s like building Superman’s home.

What are your experiences with world building?

No comments: