Thursday, February 20, 2014

2014 WORD - FEAR



This year I chose the word Fear as my word of the year.

I’ve decided to conquer the word in my life. I’ve let it stop me from pursuing my dreams and I’m no longer going to let it rule of my being.

I will write about my fears because sometimes if you talk about them you can get past them.

1st fear – Not good enough

I think this fear popped up with the first rejection and it continued to grow as I continued to write and submit my ideas. As a writer you don’t know if anyone will like your stories until you let them read them. For years I kept my stories in the closest. The first book I wrote for years because I didn’t have a clue about submitting. When I was stationed in San Diego I found found a copy of Writer’s Digest at a book store,  that began my lessons on learning to write. I learned you had to submit to be able to get published.

I submitted a query letter to Harlequin, this was the time before AA romances, so I was sent a form letter saying they weren’t looking for these type of books. I was devastated and that’s when the first fear crept in.

Looking back at this I can say the good thing about this rejection was that it made me move to the next book. An idea about another story popped in my mind and I spent many evenings and weekends in front of my word processor.

Fear can stop you from trying new things and I’m thankful I didn’t let it stop me from writing. The words continued to come even though I was worried they weren’t good enough.

I will admit this fear is still inside, but I’m learning to get past it.

Do you ever feel like your words aren’t good enough? How do you get past the fear?

No comments: