Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Writing Fears - Letting Someone Read Your Manuscripts



Fear 2: Letting Someone Read My Manuscripts

You can’t get to published if you don’t let others read or critique your books.  You have to step out of your comfort zone if you want to move forward.  It took me years of I can’t do that, to letting someone other than my mother read my manuscripts. 

I will recommend finding someone you feel comfortable with and who reads your genre.  You want someone who gets what you write to read your manuscript. I have a few horror stories about critique partners who didn’t get my writing and sent me into writing comas for years.

I good critique group will tear your story apart but will also help you build it up into a book you can be proud of. You have to develop thick skin when it comes to your writing because there will be times when someone reading your stories will not like them. Don’t take it personal, learn from every critique and grow as a writer. Don’t think your stuff is so perfect you can’t improve it.

Yes I suffered from the there is nothing wrong with my book disease a little bit. I think every writer thinks their work is perfect when they first start, however if you plan on continuing to be a writer, you learn that you grow with each manuscript and that means making mistakes and correcting them.

This year I'm focusing on editing the books in my closet, which means a lot of critiquing. I've put on my coat of armor. I'm ready to learn what I need to do to make these books into publishable books.

I’m moving past the fear and moving toward critiques.

Stop by next Tuesday for more about my journey on getting past the Fear.

Did you have a problem with letting others read your manuscript?

What did you do to move past your writing Fears?

No comments: