Tuesday, August 09, 2005

John H. Johnson

To my surprise I opened the paper to see on the front page the announcement of John Johnson’s death. Who is John Johnson you’re wondering? If you’re a black magazine reader you know who he is. If not, he was the publisher of Ebony and Jet magazine.

When I decided to become a magazine publisher, I did my research. I found he had written a book about his life. It inspired me because he had nothing but a dream and he stepped out with the help of his mother and started a magazine. There were hard times, but he kept going. Eventually building an empire.

The world was blessed in knowing Mr. Johnson. His magazine touched many lives and his legacy continues through his daughter.

If it wasn’t for his dream, I don’t believe I could of dreamed of my magazine. For that I’m truly grateful.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I also send out my prayers to Peter Jennings family. He is another legend who had his homecoming this weekend.

2 comments:

princessdominique said...

I was saddened to hear about this this morning. Another one gone.

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to learn John Johnson has passed. But disheartened that it wasn't highlighted the way that Peter Jennings' death had been.

Ebony magazine was a staple in my household and I learned about folks who looked like me through its pages. It was the only place that talked about the history of my people and highlighted the good things we were doing.

We have lost a giant in publishing. I can't imagine the world without Ebony. I'm going to buy the JET honoring him. That's the least I can do to honor him and his legacy.

Pat