Sunday, March 19, 2006

Author Intro - Deborah Piccurelli

Each Monday See Ya On The Net will introduce you to some of the hottest authors in Christian fiction and non fiction. Our guest today is Deborah Piccurelli.

SYOTN: Please give the readers a brief bio on you the person and the writer.

Deborah Piccurelli:
I'm married with two grown sons. In my spare time, I like to read (of course), and spend time with my family. I belong to a nondenominational church where I love to attend our ladies Bible Study.

As a writer, I am a first-time novelist, and now working on a new series that I'm very excited about. I've also had an article published in my local newspaper on the uncertainties of embryonic stem cell research.

My goal through my books is to impact readers' lives for Christ.

SYOTN: Tell us about your current book?



PICCURELLI:
In In the Midst of Deceit, following a near-fatal skydiving disaster, a driven financial expert enlists the aid of a spiritually grounded woman to determine who wants him dead. It was released by Jireh Publishing Company in March 2004.

SYOTN: Writing this book, what did you learn about yourself and God?

PICCURELLI:
What I learned about myself, I guess, was that writing novels is an integral part of who I am. Also, I learned that I could really do it - finish a book and have it published.

What I learned about God is that He is working through me in my writing. I'm really just an instrument, and he equips me with whatever I need to get his message across.

SYOTN: What aspect of God do you most hope readers will take away after reading your book?

PICCURELLI:
That he loves all of us, no matter who we are, or our position in life. That we all have a chance to enter His kingdom. That without Him we can do nothing, but with Him all things are possible. And that no matter what our circumstances, we can live the abundant life He intends for us.

SYOTN: Tell us about your publishing experience?

PICCURELLI:
Well, of course I originally got numerous rejections, just as all writers do. But after a few years, I finally got that call two weeks after submitting my manuscript. After that, it seemed like forever before the book was actually released, with lots of work in between. Of course, you have new projects to keep your mind off of it, though. But when you actually hold that book in your hands, it all seems worth it. Then the hard part comes: marketing. The amount an author has to do varies depending on which publisher you've contracted with. Some of us have more to do than others.

But I love all of it, and don't see myself quitting for a long, long time. Maybe never.

SYOTN: What one thing about writing do you wish other writers would understand?

PICCURELLI:
Well, I'm a newer writer myself, so I don't know if I'm in a position to answer that. I guess I could say that there may be some beginning writers out there who need to understand that they should study the market and pay attention to what publishers want. Some writers think they can still write the manuscript and send the entire thing out to about twenty publishers and assume they'll get an offer.

SYOTN: What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

PICCURELLI:
How long and slow the process is from beginning a story until it gets published.

SYOTN: Do you have any promotional tips for writers?

PICCURELLI:
One would be to get interviewed on blogs like this one. LOL! Another would be to get reviews from websites that receive a lot of hits, or publications with a large circulation. There is really so much more, and lots of stuff I haven't even thought of myself. It would be a good idea to purchase books on marketing by experts. There are lots of them out there. I've just gotten one myself called You Can Market Your Book by Carmen Leal.

SYOTN: What was the last book to keep you up at night reading it?

PICCURELLI:
Actually, I 'm reading one now by Brandilyn Collins called Web of Lies. It's a real ride!

SYOTN: What resources do you use on the net?

PICCURELLI:
I belong to several writer's groups, which are always a great resource. They always offer members a plethora of benefits, services, and information.

SYOTN: How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

PICCURELLI:
They can contact me at debwrites@netcarrier.com . If they'd like to know about me or my book they can go to http://www.roadtoromance.ca/first_timers/deborahpiccurelli.htm .

I want to thank you for having me as a guest on your blog, LaShaunda. It's been a real pleasure!

SYOTN: Deborah, thanks for taking time to introduce yourself and your book. I wish you many blessings with your new career.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deborah is a gifted story teller. Her characters are unique and endearing, and her stories keep you on the edge of your seat.