Wednesday, March 29, 2006

SPRING BREAK

I had this bright idea to take a few days off to spend time with my children while they were on Spring Break. A friend of the family offered a hotel room for two days and we were off.

For a week my children asked, is today the day we go to the hotel. We packed the night before and my daughter said she was too excited. “Are you too excited Mama?” I said I was looking forward to it, I didn’t know about excited.

My husband drives us to the hotel, which is Earth City about thirty five minutes away from our home. We feel like we’re in another city. We arrive at the hotel, but the room isn’t ready and we have to wait for about fifteen minutes. Which means, we hear, “what’s taking so long?”

We did have a little entertainment from the many robins, talking to themselves beside the car. There were also men cleaning the hotel windows. The kids wanted to know why they didn’t go fast instead of slow as they pulled themselves up on the outside of the hotel.

Finally our room was ready. We went up and decided to take a tour after we put up our suitcases. To our horror, there was no swimming pool, Jacuzzi or game room. What kind of hotel was this? My kids wanted to know. “What are we going to do? This is boring.”

My husband and I tried to get them excited about ordering room services and watching King Kong. I think we had their attention until the movie was over.

“What are we going to do now?” Sleep I said, considering it was after 12.

Remind me next time I get my bright ideas to have a suite instead of a room with two beds. Those two blessings of mine were like little ants jumping on everything. I was thankful it was only two instead of the four I thought I would have when I was dreaming of having children.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my children, but being shut up in a one room with them can drive anyone crazy. Thank God for David and Busters. We had a blast burning off a little of their never ending energy. I’ve never been to D&B. It was fun, like a chucky cheese for grown ups.

I will say I’m looking forward to Spring Break next year. I think we’ve started a new family tradition. Next year I will be getting a suite.

2 comments:

PatriciaW said...

LaShaunda, I had to laugh because it made me think of vacations with my three boys. When my oldest was about five, my husband and I promised ourselves that we'd never take a vacation unless we could book a suite. Near impossible to enjoy the vacation with nothing but Cartoon Network on the television and no privacy. Well, we've had to break that promise since then. Now it's more at the top of our wish list when making hotel reservations but we still try to at least get a room with 1 bedroom and a living area with pullout sofa bed. Boy, does it make a difference! And always make sure the hotel has something engaging to do, because if bad weather hits, you're stuck inside a small area with little people who expect to be thoroughly entertained! Thanks for sharing! LOL

LaShaunda said...

Patricia,

Thanks for stopping by.

I was hoping the room was a little bigger, but I know next time :)

LaShaunda