Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Writing Fears: Choosing To Write



We all have choices. We can choose to watch t.v. every day and not write. We can choose to hang out with our friends every weekend and not write. We can go to the gym or do other things and avoid writing. We can talk on the phone until the wee hours and not write.

These are the choices that we make. As a writer you have to make the choices that are best for you when it comes to writing. You have to decide what is important and what is not important when it comes to your writing. Then you have to schedule a timeframe so you can write.

I’m trying to do better with my own choices. I have let the outside world take over when it comes to my writing. Because I’m not published I sometimes feel like what’s the use I’ll write when I feel like it. However I can’t get to publication if I continue with this attitude.

I have to put myself on a schedule so I can learn what deadlines are and how to meet them. When I do become a published author there will be times I don’t want to write, but I will have to and I no longer have the excuse of I don’t feel like it to back me up.

The procrastination has to end. I have to write. This year one of my goals was to write twice a week on this blog. I wanted to get into the habit of writing on a schedule.

I also created a calendar for working on my manuscripts and its working for me. I can finally see an end. When I didn’t have a schedule it felt like I was writing in circles.

I do have choices and this time I choose to write.

What are you choosing to do that’s getting in front of your writing?

2 comments:

PatriciaW said...

Glad to hear your writing is moving forward. Good for you, LaShaunda. You know we possess many of the same traits, at least when it comes to writing, so procrastination and making choices other than to write plague me too. I've got til the 31st to finish my novella because then another editing project takes over so I have a deadline, but it's a schedule I created because I thought it possible. Now, I have to meet my goals.

LaShaunda said...

Patricia you can do this. We both have gotten into the habit of letting life stand in the way of our dreams.

We will see that book with our names on, and we will be shouting together.

I know you will be making your deadline, because you have other things to do.

Get on it girl, says the woman with the same deadline. :)