Thursday, June 05, 2014

How important is a business name?





Your business name is very important.  My advice to you is to think into the future when you consider your name.  I’ll give you an example of the name I chose for my magazine – Shades Of Romance Magazine.  I wasn’t looking into ten years down the road when I came up with the name. I was looking at the now.  I wanted it to convey the books I loved, African American romances.  I thought the name was perfect for promoting AA romances.

At the time it was perfect, but when the authors I promoted started writing outside of the romance genre and wanted to be feature in the magazine, I realized the name would be a problem for those who might be looking for a place to promote their books.  They would think we only feature romance authors and would go looking somewhere else.

I wanted to change the name to Shades Of Reading, unfortunately the readers didn’t take to the name change, they were fans of Shades Of Romance.  I decided to go with SORMAG instead, it’s short and simple and easier to say.

If I had to do it all again, I would seriously think about my business future and make sure my business name covered my future goals?

Does your business name, fit into the vision for your business?

No comments: